Pages

.

Vanilla Cake With Apricot Filling


          Vanilla cake with a fruit filling, nothing much exciting about the cake, except that this is the first cake that I have decorated. I had joined a cake decoration class, and in the second class, we had to make our own icing, and decorate a cake. I was able to do only a little bit in the class, came home and completed it and was pretty much satisfied at my first attempt and what better place to share it than on my blog and with all my friends here. And also I can always come back to look and laugh at my first try. I am not a big fan of icing nor anyone in the family, especially knowing the amount of sugar and shortening that goes into it, but at the same time feel that, a decorated cake is always more appealing to the eyes..

Need To Have
  • All Purpose Flour Or Maida - 1 + 1/4 cup
  • Sugar - 1 cup
  • Egg - 1
  • Baking Powder - 1 teaspoon
  • Baking Soda - 1 teaspoon
  • Milk - 1/2 cup
  • Oil - 1/4 cup
  • Butter - 1/4 cup
  • Vanilla Extract - 1 teaspoon
  • Salt - a pinch
  • Apricot Preserves - 1/2 cup



Method
          Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda, and beat the egg and add the sugar, oil, butter, milk, salt and the vanilla extract, mix everything well. To this, add the sifted ingredients little by little and blend everything together. Pour this in a greased pan ( I used a 8" circle pan ), bake at 350F for 25 to 30 mins. Remove, cool the cake at least for 2 or 3 hrs before doing the icing. Slice the cake across, place the top portion on the decorating board, sliced side up, pipe the icing around to form a dam, then spread the fruit filling. Now, place the bottom portion on the top, with the sliced side facing down, press it down slightly, then do the decoration. I made the basic confectioner's sugar, shortening  and vanilla icing.

Sending it to Tickling Palates for the I Love Baking event,
                to Food Corner for the Midweek Fiesta event,
                to Shama's Easy2cook Recipes for Sara's Cooking With Love - Granddad Series event and
                to Vegetarian Food And Me for I'm The Star event




Note
If the cake has a dome shape, just slice that portion, mix it with the fruit filling and spread it.
I tried a vegan cake, it flopped, I did a second cake and had to prepare the icing for the class, was tired, so I just stuck to the basic cake recipe.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment