Pages

.

Bitter Gourd Fry


          Like I mentioned earlier, I like bitter gourds very much, but since the other two people at home don't like it much, I hardly cooked them, especially this fry. I grew up, eating this at least once a week, my father being a big fan of this vegetable. I don't know whether I loved it then, but now, when I visit my parents I specifically ask for this. Couple of weeks back, I decided to make this just for me ( of course I made another curry for the rest of the family). This rarely happens or should I say, never happened. Since I have never made this curry, I called my mother for the recipe, and was very happy when it came out well, of course when she makes it, it tastes even better. But now, coming to the surprising part, the husband, who I thought, would never touch this curry, ended up finishing half of it. Do our tastes change as we grow older, well, but now I can make this fry more often..

Need To Have
  • Bitter Gourd - 1 packed cup, sliced
  • Mochai Or Papdi Lilva - 1/2 cup
  • Onion - 1 big chopped
  • Garlic - 4 or 5 chopped
  • Green Chillies - 4 chopped
  • Tomatoes - 2 very big ones chopped
  • Powdered Fennel Seeds - 1 teaspoon
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Curry Leaves - 10 

Method
          Heat oil, add the fennel seeds powder followed by the onions, garlic and green chillies, saute till the onion turns transparent. Add the curry leaves and the tomatoes, saute till the tomatoes turn mushy, then add the turmeric powder, bitter gourd pieces and the mochai, cover and cook. Once they are cooked, remove the lid, keep frying on low heat for about 10 mins, add more oil if needed. Remove and serve with rice and dal or sambar.
Sending this to Vegetarian Food And Me for I'm The Star event,
                   to UK Rasoi for the "For U, Mum" event,
                   to Food Delicious for the Only South Indian event,
                   to Srav's Cooking Concepts for Vegan Diets - Only Plant Based event and
                   to Roshan's Cucina who is hosting this month Gayathri's WTML event .

Note
Add more or less green chillies, the bitterness of the vegetable is balanced with the hot green chillies and the sourness from the tomatoes.
You can leave out the garlic and mochai ( a type of broad beans), my mother never added them, of course garlic gives a nice flavor.




















[Only%2520South%2520Indian%255B3%255D.png]

No comments:

Post a Comment