Pages

.

Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney And Awards


          The first time, I tasted chutneys using vegetable peels was at my friend's place, she usually makes this thogayal with the chow-chow (chayote) peels and I liked it very much. But for some reason, have never tried to make it at home, this is the first time ever, I made a chutney using the peeled skins of a vegetable. I had made a pachadi using the ridge gourd and suddenly it struck me that I should do a chutney with the peels. I added some peanuts for taste, and voilà, it was one yummy thogayal that tasted very delicious with rice and some gingelly oil..

Need To Have
  • Ridge Gourd Peel - from one very long ridge gourd
  • Peanuts - 1 tablespoon
  • Chopped Coriander - 1/2 cup
  • Urad Dal - 1 tablespoon
  • Chana Dal - 1/2 tablespoon
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Dried Red Chilli - 1
  • Green Chillies - 2
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Tamarind - a small marble size

Method
          Dry roast the peanuts and remove the skin and keep. In a little oil, roast the urad and chana dal, mustard seeds, red chilli and green chillies, remove and keep. Now add a little more oil, add the ridge gourd peels and saute for 10 mins, till the skin gets nicely toasted, finally add the coriander leaves, saute for a couple of more minutes, remove and cool. Grind this with all the roasted dals, peanuts, asafoetida and tamarind. Do not make a very smooth paste and add as very little as possible during grinding. Remove and serve as such.
Sending this to Now Serving for the Big Chutney Chow Down event and
                   to Spicy Treats for the Show Me Your Hits - Healthy Delights.

Note
Please use chillies according to your spice level.
If you want to have this with idlis and dosas, then make it slightly watery and season with some mustard seeds and urad dal and curry leaves.
For my Non-Indian readers, thogayal is a thick and slightly coarse version of a chutney.


          Coming to the awards, I got the Leibster Blog Award one more time, it was so nice of Julie to give me this one. She is one great fellow blogger who has never missed to encourage me with her wonderful comments. Do visit her blog Erivum Puliyum for some lip smacking recipes.

       
          The next one comes from Maha of Maha's Lovely Home, she has given me the Versatile Blogger award. I am always amazed at her stamina, she blogs almost every day, do check her blog for some great dishes.



The rules for accepting this award are:
1. Add the Versatile Blogger Award.
2. Thank the blogger who nominated you in a post with a link back to their blog.
3. Share 7 completely random pieces of information about yourself.
4. Include this set of rules.
5. Forward this award to 15 fellow bloggers, and inform them with a comment on each of their blogs.



Now, coming to seven random things about me:
1. I am a very straight forward person, it's really very hard for me to be otherwise, when the situation demands so.
2. I love reading books, it started with Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew and went on to John Grisham, Ken Follet, the list goes on.
3. Other than food blogs, I love to read about interior decoration and travelling.
4. I like visiting new places but I hate flying.
5. When I visit water parks and see others enjoying, I come out thinking, I am going to learn swimming soon, but that has never materialized.
6. I am a person of habit, prefer to start my day with my oatmeal (what I eat after that does not matter) and to sleep on my side of the bed.
7. My latest fascination is for cake decoration, I am amazed at what some of my blogger friends can do.


          And now, it's my turn to pass this award to 15 other fellow bloggers:
1. Sangee Vijay of Spicy Treats
2. Julie of Erivum Puliyum
3. Sobha Shyam of Good Food
4. Suchi of Kitchen Karma
5. Anu of Hot Pot Cooking
6. Poonam of Kande Pohe
7. Rasi of Vegetarian Food & Me
8. Vimitha Anand of My Culinary Trial Room
9. Reena Vimesh of Achu's Amma's Kitchen
10. Kalpana Sareesh of Life With Spices
11. Hemalata of Hema's Food
12. Chandarani of Cuisine Delights
13. Princy Vinoth of Spicy Food
14. Rekha Shobhan of Rekha's Recipe
15. Jeyashri of Jeyashri's Kitchen


         All of them are such excellent bloggers, they amaze me with their creativeness and versatility. Thank you guys for all those encouraging comments, which are my boosters to keep going. 


Chutney event


         

No comments:

Post a Comment