Pages

.

Aloo Methi/ Potato With Fresh Fenugreek, Dry Version


          Potatoes, there can be very few people who'll say 'I hate this vegetable', we might be avoiding it for health reasons, but then the simple potato curry is always very tempting. My daughter loves potatoes, so I make them at least once a week, and this combination with methi/ fenugreek leaves is simply too good. I have another version in my blog which has some gravy, this one is a dry version. I have used Tarla Dalal's recipe, I know, I'll be making this again and again..

Need To Have

  • Potatoes - Boiled, peeled and cubed - 21/2 cups
  • Chopped Methi - 3 cups
  • Ginger - 1" piece, grated
  • Garlic - 2 cloves, grated
  • Green Chilly - 1, chopped finely
  • Dried Red Chillies - 2
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoons
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Cumin Seeds - 1 teaspoon

Method


          Dry roast the red chillies and break it into small pieces and keep. Add a little salt to the methi, leave it for half an hour and squeeze out the water. Heat some oil, add the cumin seeds, when it starts sizzling, add the ginger, garlic and the red chillies, saute for a minute till the raw garlic smell goes off. Then add the diced potatoes and saute for about 5 minutes.


Now add the turmeric, coriander powders, asafoetida and salt, chopped methi and green chilly, mix, cover and cook on slow heat for about 10 minutes. Serve it warm with pooris or rotis.


Note
Don't skip the step, squeezing the excess water from the methi, otherwise the dish will not come out dry.
You can use baby potatoes or any potato that doesn't turn mushy will sauteing.
Use fresh coriander powder if possible, it always adds to the flavor.
You can find fresh fenugreek leaves in Indian stores, you can also use the frozen one too, in fact, I always, clean, chop and freeze the methi, so that I can use it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment