Pages

.

The Feng Family Secret Peking Duck Recipe

So the story is, Jeff won Ilene's family over by making Peking duck for them before asking her parents' permission for her hand in marriage. And I happened to have a duck defrosting in the fridge, so I asked him if I could get his recipe. I'd perused many on-line versions, and they all seemed very complicated. Some had you drying the duck for hours, pouring boiling water over the skin and then drying it again before glazing it and drying it even more, and some even included using a bicycle pump to inflate the space between the duck skin and meat. Thankfully, the recipe that Jeff gave me was a lot simpler. The only stipulation: that I not post it because it's been handed down through his family over the years. I did get permission to post pictures of it, though, so here you go.

Peking duck - day 1 of drying in the fridge
Day 1

Duck dried for 4 days in the fridge
Day 3

Stuffing the duck with scallions
Stuffed

After 1 hour in the oven
Day 3 + 1 hour

2nd glazing
Day 3 + 2 hours

Finished!
Day 3 + 2 hours and 10 minutes

Homemade Chinese pancakes for Peking duck
Homemade Chinese pancakes

Making the Peking duck wrap
Duck meat, skin, scallions, and Hoisin sauce on pancake

Peking duck wrap
Wrapped

Jenny and Matt came over to taste test, and there were comments like, "I just don't want this to ever stop; it's so good."

So Ilene, you don't have to marry Jeff just to get the recipe; I can give it to you if you want it. ;)

Everyone else, I'll be accepting (and reserving the right to decline) marriage proposals. ^_^

More pictures here.

No comments:

Post a Comment